Choosing the right person to install windows in your home can feel like a daunting task. Most homeowners will only undertake a project like this once or twice in a lifetime. How do you know you’re working with someone reputable who will diligently complete the task, improving the security and energy efficiency of your home for years to come?
There are many questions you can ask window installers to help you decide who the right person is for your specific installation project. Outlined below are some recommendations to help get you started.
Questions for window installers
Asking the right questions when evaluating companies you may want to hire for window installation is crucial. The work being done will have an aesthetic, financial and security impact on your home, and correcting a poorly-done job can be expensive and time consuming.
Here are some questions to consider asking your potential window installer as you begin the process:
- How long have you been in business? Knowing you’re working with a company that has years of experience providing satisfying customer service is a great first step.
- What type of installation do you specialize in? Make sure you know any unique challenges your project may present before beginning conversations with contractors. You may encounter window installers who don’t take on projects like yours due to insurance coverage or their specific training.
- What style of windows would you recommend for my home and needs? It’s important to do your own research, but consulting with a professional can build your confidence in their expertise and help you identify blind spots in your own evaluation.
- Can you provide customer references? Speaking with past customers or reading reviews online can give you a sense of the quality of your window installer’s work, attention to detail and professionalism.
- Are you licensed and insured? It’s important to know you’re working with someone who has liability and workers’ compensation insurance so that, should they get injured on your property, you’re not held liable.
- Can I get a detailed quote? Compare quotes from multiple contractors. Are they thorough? Easy to understand? Are all line items well justified? Seeing numbers can provide helpful insight to guide you in the decision-making process.
- What are payment terms? Do you pay up front or after installation? Are payments split up over the course of the project? Know what to expect before selecting your contractor.
- How long will installation take? Know what the contractor’s expected timeline is for the project, what factors could delay project completion and how delays will be handled and communicated, should they arise.
- Is a warranty included? A reputable contractor will be able to guide you through all the details of your window installation package. Does the company offer any guarantees or warranties for the windows you’re installing?
- Do you handle trim work? Check to see if interior and exterior trim and finishes are included in the installation packages—will these details be handled by them, or require you to hire someone else afterward?
This process may seem stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Ask your window installer these questions and get the information you need to make an informed decision. Schedule an appointment with Architectural Windows & Doors, Inc. to talk with our experts!
Categorised in: Designer Window Supplier